Relationships are the fundamental touchstone quality of our lives. We are constantly in a relationship with someone: our partner, children, extended families, co-workers, bosses, friends, neighbors, schools, community.
We have five needs built into our genetic structure:
- The feeling of love and belonging. To care about others and believe that we are loved and cared about ourselves.
- Power/Self-Worth. The need for a sense of empowerment, worthiness, self-efficacy, and achievement.
- Freedom. The need for independence and autonomy. To make our own choices, create, explore and express.
- Fun and Recreation. The desire to enjoy a job, have a sense of humor even about serious events, have a hobby, to have an interest in a leisure time activity or work project.
- Survival. To survive as individuals and as a specie with health and our physiological needs met. To have basic needs met of food, water, air, shelter, safety.
When we feel our needs are met we reach a high level of happiness. Reality Therapy uses a basic system: Exploration of Wants, Discussion of Doing, and Client Self Evaluation, and creating a Plan.
I hold a certification in Reality Therapy and Choice Theory and can guide and assist you in ways to improve your relationships and the quality of your life.
It is what you choose to do in a relationship, not what others choose to do, that is the heart of reality therapy.
Robert E. Wubbolding & John Brickell, Reality Therapy Counseling